System Administrator (Part Time)
The Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corporation is a growing organization working to democratize news for the public benefit.
We work to contribute to a healthy society by fostering, supporting and incubating a sustainable and vibrant free press through policy, advocacy, education, technology, and programs that provide global support to our mission.
About the System Administrator Role
We are looking for a System Administrator who is dedicated to our mission, has technical experience and unshakable integrity. The are reliable, confident and comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with routine activities.
The System Administrator will be responsible for the technical operations needs of the Fourth Estate and staff and infrastructure which supports our work. They will plan and deliver technical solutions as well as communicate to staff with varied levels of technical expertise. Due to the nature of ourwork, the organization faces significant potential threats, and therefore, the System Administrator will need to ensure Fourth Estate's staff, infrastructure, and data is secure and available.
This position is part of the global tech team and will report to the Executive Director, but will liaise closely with other staff members in fulfilling duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain the organization’s technical infrastructure, including critical systems with high availability needs;
- Support the technical and digital security needs of our global team;
- Oversee user administration and technical onboarding and offboarding of staff and interns;
- Contribute to the development of internal security policies, procedures, and controls;
- Coordinate with regional operations managers to interact with local technology vendors across the organization’s global locations where appropriate;
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Work experience in a similar or related role supporting the tech needs of a global organization;
- Strong ability to plan and follow through with projects in an organized and efficient manner;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and manage priorities;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience with Mac, Windows and Linux operating systems for users;
- Experience with Linux server administration;
- Experience with Apache, nginx, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, Nagios, Git, Cloudflare, Proxmox, Xen, KVM, LXC virtualization system preferred;
- Excellent ability to automate tasks and implement tools in a scripting language;
- Experience in operational security planning and information security policies;
- Experience with collaborative and project management software;
- Experience with administration of request tracker;
- Some coding ability; Python, PHP and/or Perl preferred.
This is a part-time position with full-time potential. We’re seeking and accepting applications from qualified candidates anywhere in the world.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
We offer benefits to help our staff embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career, this includes technical training, language training, health benefits, travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise!
Please send us all of the the following, incomplete applications will not be considered:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role, salary expectations
- The names and contact details of two references (only one reference may be academic)
Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply for this important position at the Fourth Estate.
- URL: https://www.fourthestate.org/jobs/system-administrator/
- Position Reports To: Executive Director
- Location: Remote / Telecommute