WordPress Theme Developer
The Fourth Estate is seeking an experienced WordPress theme developer who can work collaboratively to design and develop insanely useful WordPress Themes for local news organizations.
You’ll work with other Fourth Estate team members to provide fresh, useful, and usable responsive themes and websites to news and journalism outlets around the world.
- Turn design files into functioning HTML & CSS WordPress Themes
- Ensure themes use best practices in terms of WordPress User Interface patterns
- Ensure themes use best practices for responsive design and accessibility
- Ensure themes earn high marks on GTMetrix & Google’s PageSpeed Insights metrics
- Work with our team to modify and update existing WordPress themes and plugins
- Work with our team to research and stay on top of web development best practices
Skills - Required
- Previous demonstrable theme development
- Thorough knowledge of WordPress, WordPress Themes, & Custom Post Types, etc
- Thorough knowledge of HTML5 & CSS3 and other front-end tech
- Strong knowledge of image optimization and next generation image formats
- Knowledge of WordPress site optimization
- Knowledge of Git and Git-based workflows & deployment
- Fluent in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work on several projects at once
- A great personality and a sense of humor
Skills - Bonus (Not Required)
- Familiarity with the Page Builder tools and the blocks editors
- Familiarity with JS frameworks such as React
- Experiencing developing WordPress plugins
Who we are
We are an international, non-partisan, human rights, membership organization dedicated to an engaged and informed public, well equipped with quality information needed to make informed decisions by a strong free press.
The organization's initiatives include: advocacy, publicity efforts, investments, and strategic litigation strategies. Our name references a segment of society that wields an indirect but significant influence on society even though it is not a formally recognized part of the political system.
This position reports virtually to our Washington, DC office, however remote applicants anywhere in the world are encouraged.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time contract position to start. Full-time potential.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates virtually. This role requires access and use of a computer, telephone, and broadband internet.
No travel is expected for this position.
- Starts On: Oct. 3, 2020, 3:42 p.m.
Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corporation
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Phone: (202) 873-2400